4-H Camp Owahta Health Coordinator
Classification Title: Temporary Camp Nurse
Functional Title: 4-H Camp Owahta – Health Coordinator
Supervisor & Title: 4-H Camp Owahta Director
This position serves as the 4-H Camp Owahta Health Coordinator for 4-H Camp Owahta responsible to Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Cortland County. The primary responsibilities of this position are to supervise the health and cleanliness standards for 4-H Camp Owahta and work cooperatively with the 4-H Camp Owahta Director and camp staff to ensure adequate physical health conditions for all. In addition, this position accepts and performs other responsibilities as assigned and deemed appropriate by the 4-H Camp Owahta Director. (This position does not include cabin responsibilities.)
- Ensure each staff member and camper has on file a health history and examinationform, as required.
- Screen arriving campers and staff per New York State Department of Healthprocedures.
- Conduct inventory of supplies and place orders when necessary, ensuring timely arrival of supplies.
- Establish and follow appropriate medical routines including record keeping in thedaily medical log, disposal of medical waste, managing and safeguardingmedications, and utilizing approved standing orders.
- Coordinate coverage of the health center.
- Post hours for daily medications and health call.\
- Make appointments, when necessary, with medical/dental personnel in thecommunity.
- Check and issue first-aid kits to assigned areas.
- Participate in and lead specific areas of staff training pertaining to camp healthand safety, CPR, first aid, and use of universal precautions for infection control.
- Keep accident/incident reports that can be used for risk-management assessment.
- Prepare a summary and evaluation of the camp season including inventories, staffevaluations, camper reports on health problems, and make recommendations forthe following season.
- Monitor health of all camp staff.
- Monitor and evaluate camp procedures, facilities, and conditions.
- Suggest modifications that would create more healthful conditions in the camp.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassignedand other duties may be assigned as required.
- Educate staff as needed in CPR and First Aid for certification or re-certification.
- Immediate supervision provided by 4-H Camp Owahta Director.
- Necessary: Licensed LPN or EMT 3
- Desirable: Licensed RN
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with children and young adults inan outdoor/recreational environment.
- Demonstrated ability to update and/or monitor health care, maintain records, andimplement a health care plan.
- Current BLS/CPR and first aid certifications.
- Desire to work and live in a camp community.
- Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the position.
- Must be willing and able to stay at 4-H Camp Owahta (including overnights) the entire time Camp is in session.
For more information, contact Barbara Henza, Human Resources at 607.391.2660 Ext. 407.